Sunday, February 13, 2011

For the Ladies

Last weekend I went on an IRHOC leadership conference to Purdue. And one of the programs that they put on was Body Awareness and what they said really stuck with me.

In today's society women are supposed to be skinny, tan, and beautiful. Basically a valley girl or someone from California.But the thing is not everyone is like that. What about those girls who don't have that kind of figure? What about those girls that can't fit into a size 6 dress? Do they need to starve themselves, to go through all these measures to make themselves look like the models or celebrities in magazines?

No, they don't.

Some of you might have seen this video before, but I'd like to share it to help prove my point.

In this video they woman is taken and completely fixed up using products to make here hair more lush, her face blemish-free, her eyes pop and other such things. Then they take her picture into photoshop and completely overhaul her. She's not even real now! Her face is up on a billboard hanging down over thousands of people, showing them what a beautiful woman is supposed to look like.

That. Is. Unattainable.

That is not a real woman.

Women, why we do try to be like models and celebrities?? They're not real!

Now I'm not skinny, in fact I'm about 30 lbs overweight, but I'm real. Am I beautiful?

Yes, I am.

In the program at IRHOC they had us write down things that we loved about ourselves to remind us of how wonderful and beautiful we are.

I love...
my laugh
my eyes
and my hair

Oh here comes the famous facebook pose....


And here's a more real pic of me....


What do you love about yourself? This can be a rhetorical question or if you want to comment below go for it.

And just think about this: You are beautiful. Don't listen to what others tell you, believe in yourself because you are wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment